Aberdeen Electricians Ltd is now 18th Edition qualified. As NICEIC approved electricians in Aberdeen we understand the importance of keeping up to date with the latest changes in electrical wiring regulations. Changes to electrical regulations are not uncommon and tend to happen every few years or so. Their aim is introduce requirements that will better safeguard both electricians and the public. However, after months of speculation about exactly what would be included in the18th Edition of the IET wiring regulations, BS 7671:2018 was finally published in July this year. It included a host of changes including many new regulations, revised regulations, new chapters and restructured sections.
Although the changes to the regulations have been released and can be worked to immediately, there is a period of grace. This means that it is not compulsory for new electrical work to meet these standards until January 2019. This is to give electricians time to familiarise themselves with the requirements and pass the 18th Edition exam. However this does not mean that electrical work undertaken previous to these changes is unsafe; it just means that from January any future electrical work must comply with the changes.
Most Significant Changes
- Metal pipes entering a building which have an insulating section at the point of entry will not require to be connected to the protective equipotential bonding.
- The installation of Arc Fault Detection Devices (AFDDs) is recommended in AC final circuits. This is to reduce the risk of fires caused by arcing between live conductors.
- Cables need to be supported throughout the installation with fire rated fixings. This is to prevent premature collapse in the event of a fire. This was previously only required for escape routes.
- In circumstances where sensitive or critical equipment could be damaged by voltage surges such as lightning strikes surge protection devices should be installed at the origin of the supply. A risk assessment should be carried out to assess cost against risk.
- Energy efficiency class ratings to be introduced for lighting, metering, cable and transformer losses, power-factor and harmonics.
Having recently passed the 18th Edition exam, Aberdeen Electricians Ltd is now fully up to speed on the latest changes. So if you are looking for an electrician you can trust to be working to the very latest electrical standards we’d love to hear from you. Please get in touch or give us a call on 01224 900077